This Service is for:
Psychologists help people to improve and maintain your mental health and general wellbeing.
Mental health is about having the ability to cope with life’s stresses and feeling purposeful, productive and connected to others. It’s a state that helps people to live fulfilling lives.
Psychologists draw on a wide variety of theories, techniques and knowledge to support people to improve their wellbeing and work towards their goals. People choose to see a psychologist for many different reasons, and it doesn’t mean that there is something wrong with them.
Psychologists at Brain Injury SA (BISA) have specialist knowledge in assisting people with brain injury, helping you manage its impact on your mental health and coping skills.
Consulting a Psychologist
Some reasons to consult a psychologist at BISA include:
- Difficulty adjusting to the changes in life following a brain injury
- Persistent feelings of sadness, anxiety or stress
- Dealing with grief and loss
- Relationship difficulties
- Changes in sense of self/identity
- Wanting help with goal setting and future directions
- Behavioural changes or challenges
- Feeling dissatisfied with life
- Troubling thoughts and feelings related to a traumatic event
- Substance use issues
- Wanting to identify and better utilise personal strengths
- Difficulty regulating emotions
Working with a Registered Psychologist
There are some important things that your Psychologist will discuss with you which ensure the services you receive best meet your needs. These include:
- Identifying clear goals
- Agreed timeframes
- Evidence-based treatments (so we are making the best use of participants’ time and funding)